Sad Shop is a certified EnviroStars green business leader. Sad Shop is committed to reducing environmental impact and using green materials in products and packaging as much as possible.
- All paper is 100% recycled and recyclable.
- Cards are 100% post-consumer content.
- Envelopes are at least 20% post-consumer content.
- Clear card sleeves are custom made from wood pulp and can be composted in yard waste bins and at home.*
- Cards are printed on an environmentally responsible machine that produces little to no waste.
- Rigid and floppy cardboard mailers are 100% recycled and recyclable.
New Non-Plastic Packaging
* Sad Shop cards were first packaged in “biodegradable” clear sleeves made from corn oil (PLA). Unfortunately I learned that, although PLA is certified compostable, it only properly biodegrades in ultra-specialized treatment facilities. When disposed into landfills, PLA biodegrades at the same rate as plastic.
My next iteration of clear sleeves were made of partially recycled plastic. I chose them over PLA sleeves because they ultimately created a lower net waste.
Now I am thrilled to have finally found a fully compostable clear sleeve. Although they are slightly less luxurious than industry-standard plastic sleeves, I strongly feel the slight decrease in perfection is overwhelmingly outweighed by the elimination of single-use plastic.
Please contact me if you would like to be connected with my compostable packaging supplier! I am delighted to share this resource as widely as possible.